On Sun, Apr 11, 2004 at 06:34:28PM -0500, Joseph A. Nagy, Jr. wrote the following:
> Problem solved. ):
<snip>

Well, it wasn't a problem with mysql per sey but a problem with how I was
entering the command.

The man page says

/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u user -p somepassword

is correct as is

/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u user --password(or pwd)=somepassword

but the correct, undocumented way is

/usr/bin/mysqladmin -u user -p password 'somepassword'

The spaces are important. The mysql man page REALLY needs to be updated to
reflect that the other methods DO NOT WORK. The way I had to do it is the
only way it works, at least on my install. I'm running Gentoo Linux and the
above way, according to what I've seen in the archives, seems to be the only
real way to do it.

--
Joseph A. Nagy, Jr. http://joseph-a-nagy-jr.homelinux.org
Political Activist Extraordinaire       Peace, Life, Liberty