I am running a mysql server off a Dell 2650.
Dual 2.8Ghz Intel Xeon processors
1 Gig of RAM

The MySQL data comes up rather slowly.  Would like some suggestions on my
my.cnf file if you had a minute.

here is what I have

+--------------------------------+----------+
| Variable_name                  | Value    |
+--------------------------------+----------+
| Aborted_clients                | 0        |
| Aborted_connects               | 0        |
| Bytes_received                 | 1083533  |
| Bytes_sent                     | 979790   |
| Com_admin_commands             | 0        |
| Com_alter_table                | 0        |
| Com_analyze                    | 0        |
| Com_backup_table               | 0        |
| Com_begin                      | 0        |
| Com_change_db                  | 40       |
| Com_change_master              | 0        |
| Com_check                      | 0        |
| Com_commit                     | 14       |
| Com_create_db                  | 0        |
| Com_create_function            | 0        |
| Com_create_index               | 0        |
| Com_create_table               | 0        |
| Com_delete                     | 0        |
| Com_delete_multi               | 0        |
| Com_drop_db                    | 0        |
| Com_drop_function              | 0        |
| Com_drop_index                 | 0        |
| Com_drop_table                 | 0        |
| Com_flush                      | 0        |
| Com_grant                      | 0        |
| Com_ha_close                   | 0        |
| Com_ha_open                    | 0        |
| Com_ha_read                    | 0        |
| Com_insert                     | 0        |
| Com_insert_select              | 0        |
| Com_kill                       | 0        |
| Com_load                       | 0        |
| Com_load_master_data           | 0        |
| Com_load_master_table          | 0        |
| Com_lock_tables                | 0        |
| Com_optimize                   | 0        |
| Com_purge                      | 0        |
| Com_rename_table               | 0        |
| Com_repair                     | 0        |
| Com_replace                    | 0        |
| Com_replace_select             | 0        |
| Com_reset                      | 0        |
| Com_restore_table              | 0        |
| Com_revoke                     | 0        |
| Com_rollback                   | 0        |
| Com_savepoint                  | 0        |
| Com_select                     | 184      |
| Com_set_option                 | 28       |
| Com_show_binlog_events         | 0        |
| Com_show_binlogs               | 0        |
| Com_show_create                | 0        |
| Com_show_databases             | 0        |
| Com_show_fields                | 0        |
| Com_show_grants                | 0        |
| Com_show_keys                  | 0        |
| Com_show_logs                  | 0        |
| Com_show_master_status         | 0        |
| Com_show_new_master            | 0        |
| Com_show_open_tables           | 0        |
| Com_show_processlist           | 0        |
| Com_show_slave_hosts           | 0        |
| Com_show_slave_status          | 0        |
| Com_show_status                | 1        |
| Com_show_innodb_status         | 0        |
| Com_show_tables                | 0        |
| Com_show_variables             | 0        |
| Com_slave_start                | 0        |
| Com_slave_stop                 | 0        |
| Com_truncate                   | 0        |
| Com_unlock_tables              | 0        |
| Com_update                     | 0        |
| Connections                    | 43       |
| Created_tmp_disk_tables        | 13       |
| Created_tmp_tables             | 13       |
| Created_tmp_files              | 0        |
| Delayed_insert_threads         | 0        |
| Delayed_writes                 | 0        |
| Delayed_errors                 | 0        |
| Flush_commands                 | 1        |
| Handler_commit                 | 0        |
| Handler_delete                 | 0        |
| Handler_read_first             | 2        |
| Handler_read_key               | 9080     |
| Handler_read_next              | 35       |
| Handler_read_prev              | 1764     |
| Handler_read_rnd               | 723      |
| Handler_read_rnd_next          | 63575    |
| Handler_rollback               | 0        |
| Handler_update                 | 0        |
| Handler_write                  | 154      |
| Key_blocks_used                | 51       |
| Key_read_requests              | 13370    |
| Key_reads                      | 41       |
| Key_write_requests             | 67       |
| Key_writes                     | 0        |
| Max_used_connections           | 4        |
| Not_flushed_key_blocks         | 0        |
| Not_flushed_delayed_rows       | 0        |
| Open_tables                    | 18       |
| Open_files                     | 38       |
| Open_streams                   | 0        |
| Opened_tables                  | 24       |
| Questions                      | 9971     |
| Qcache_queries_in_cache        | 173      |
| Qcache_inserts                 | 173      |
| Qcache_hits                    | 9665     |
| Qcache_lowmem_prunes           | 0        |
| Qcache_not_cached              | 8        |
| Qcache_free_memory             | 32908680 |
| Qcache_free_blocks             | 1        |
| Qcache_total_blocks            | 365      |
| Rpl_status                     | NULL     |
| Select_full_join               | 8        |
| Select_full_range_join         | 0        |
| Select_range                   | 66       |
| Select_range_check             | 0        |
| Select_scan                    | 84       |
| Slave_open_temp_tables         | 0        |
| Slave_running                  | OFF      |
| Slow_launch_threads            | 0        |
| Slow_queries                   | 0        |
| Sort_merge_passes              | 0        |
| Sort_range                     | 0        |
| Sort_rows                      | 723      |
| Sort_scan                      | 16       |
| Ssl_accepts                    | 0        |
| Ssl_finished_accepts           | 0        |
| Ssl_finished_connects          | 0        |
| Ssl_accept_renegotiates        | 0        |
| Ssl_connect_renegotiates       | 0        |
| Ssl_callback_cache_hits        | 0        |
| Ssl_session_cache_hits         | 0        |
| Ssl_session_cache_misses       | 0        |
| Ssl_session_cache_timeouts     | 0        |
| Ssl_used_session_cache_entries | 0        |
| Ssl_client_connects            | 0        |
| Ssl_session_cache_overflows    | 0        |
| Ssl_session_cache_size         | 0        |
| Ssl_session_cache_mode         | NONE     |
| Ssl_sessions_reused            | 0        |
| Ssl_ctx_verify_mode            | 0        |
| Ssl_ctx_verify_depth           | 0        |
| Ssl_verify_mode                | 0        |
| Ssl_verify_depth               | 0        |
| Ssl_version                    |          |
| Ssl_cipher                     |          |
| Ssl_cipher_list                |          |
| Ssl_default_timeout            | 0        |
| Table_locks_immediate          | 239      |
| Table_locks_waited             | 0        |
| Threads_cached                 | 1        |
| Threads_created                | 5        |
| Threads_connected              | 4        |
| Threads_running                | 1        |
| Uptime                         | 1444     |
+--------------------------------+----------+

my.cnf as follows:

[client]
password        = password
port            = 3306
socket          = /tmp/mysql.sock

# Here follows entries for some specific programs

[EMAIL PROTECTED] bin]# cat /etc/my.cnf

[client]
password        = guest
port            = 3306
socket          = /tmp/mysql.sock

# The MySQL server
[mysqld]
port            = 3306
socket          = /tmp/mysql.sock
skip-locking
key_buffer = 384M
max_allowed_packet = 1M
table_cache = 512
sort_buffer_size = 8M
read_buffer_size = 2M
myisam_sort_buffer_size = 64M
thread_cache = 8
query_cache_size = 32M
# Try number of CPU's*2 for thread_concurrency
thread_concurrency = 4

# Don't listen on a TCP/IP port at all. This can be a security enhancement,
# if all processes that need to connect to mysqld run on the same host.
# All interaction with mysqld must be made via Unix sockets or named pipes.
# Note that using this option without enabling named pipes on Windows
# (via the "enable-named-pipe" option) will render mysqld useless!
#
#skip-networking

# Replication Master Server (default)
# binary logging is required for replication
log-bin

# required unique id between 1 and 2^32 - 1
# defaults to 1 if master-host is not set
# but will not function as a master if omitted
server-id       = 1

# Replication Slave (comment out master section to use this)
#
# To configure this host as a replication slave, you can choose between
# two methods :
#
# 1) Use the CHANGE MASTER TO command (fully described in our manual) -
#    the syntax is:
#
#    CHANGE MASTER TO MASTER_HOST=<host>, MASTER_PORT=<port>,
#    MASTER_USER=<user>, MASTER_PASSWORD=<password> ;
#
#    <port> by the master's port number (3306 by default).
#
#    Example:
#
#    CHANGE MASTER TO MASTER_HOST='125.564.12.1', MASTER_PORT=3306,
#    MASTER_USER='joe', MASTER_PASSWORD='secret';
#
# OR
#
# 2) Set the variables below. However, in case you choose this method, then
#    start replication for the first time (even unsuccessfully, for example
#    if you mistyped the password in master-password and the slave fails to
#    connect), the slave will create a master.info file, and any later
#    change in this file to the variables' values below will be ignored and
#    overridden by the content of the master.info file, unless you shutdown
#    the slave server, delete master.info and restart the slaver server.
#    For that reason, you may want to leave the lines below untouched
#    (commented) and instead use CHANGE MASTER TO (see above)
#
# required unique id between 2 and 2^32 - 1
# (and different from the master)
# defaults to 2 if master-host is set
# but will not function as a slave if omitted
#server-id       = 2
#
# The replication master for this slave - required
#master-host     =   <hostname>
#
# The username the slave will use for authentication when connecting
# to the master - required
#master-user     =   <username>
#
# The password the slave will authenticate with when connecting to
# the master - required
#master-password =   <password>
#
# The port the master is listening on.
# optional - defaults to 3306
#master-port     =  <port>
#
# binary logging - not required for slaves, but recommended
#log-bin

# Point the following paths to different dedicated disks
#tmpdir         = /tmp/
#log-update     = /path-to-dedicated-directory/hostname

# Uncomment the following if you are using BDB tables
#bdb_cache_size = 384M
#bdb_max_lock = 100000

# Uncomment the following if you are using InnoDB tables
#innodb_data_home_dir = /usr/local/mysql/var/
#innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:2000M;ibdata2:10M:autoextend
#innodb_log_group_home_dir = /usr/local/mysql/var/
#innodb_log_arch_dir = /usr/local/mysql/var/
# You can set .._buffer_pool_size up to 50 - 80 %
# of RAM but beware of setting memory usage too high
#innodb_buffer_pool_size = 384M
#innodb_additional_mem_pool_size = 20M
# Set .._log_file_size to 25 % of buffer pool size
#innodb_log_file_size = 100M
#innodb_log_buffer_size = 8M
#innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit = 1
#innodb_lock_wait_timeout = 50

[mysqldump]
quick
max_allowed_packet = 16M

[mysql]
no-auto-rehash
# Remove the next comment character if you are not familiar with SQL
#safe-updates

[isamchk]
key_buffer = 256M
sort_buffer_size = 256M