At 14:08 -0400 5/8/04, Kirti S. Bajwa wrote:
Hello List:

I have been learning MySQL. I have installed & tested MySQL server 3-4 times
without problem. This time I used the an "alpha-nightly snapshot" and have
run into problems.

My current Installation:
----------------------
LINUX RH9
Source Installaion: mysql-5.0.1-alpha-nightly-20040504.tar.gz

DUAL Pentium 1GHz CPU
1.5 GB Memory

Installation Procedure:
----------------------
I follow the installation procedure is as described in MySQL documentation &
a doze of consulting MySQL by Paul DuBois book:

        % cd  /usr/local
        % gunzip -dc  mysql-5.0.1-alpha-nightly-20040504.tar.gz | tar xvf -
        % cd  mysql-5.0.1-alpha-nightly-20040504
        % ./configure -prefix=/usr/local/mysql
        % make
        % make install
% scripts/mysql_install_db
                % chown -R mysqladm.mysqlgrp    /usr/local/mysql/var
                % chown -R mysqladm.mysqlgrp    /rad/var
                % chmod -R go-rwx   /usr/local/mysql/var
                *       It is a good idea to first see if the MySQL can be
started:
                % /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld_safe -user=mysqladm &
                % ps -aux | grep mysql
                                There should be 4-5 lines showing how MySQL
is running.
                                Wonderful, MySQL is running.
                % reboot
Setup to start MySQL automatically
                % cp  /usr/local/<mysql Version No>/mysql.server
/etc/init.d
                % cd /etc/init.d
                % chmod 500 mysql.server
                % chkconfig  - -add  mysql.server

Try adding:

chkconfig mysql.server on

Then run this to see if it's been enabled for the appropriate runlevels:

chkconfig --list mysql.server

% reboot

                Check if MySQL is running:
                % ps -aux |  grep mysql

Problem:
---------
Well, MySQL does not start automatically.
As I said, I have used a similar installation script before without proble.
This time, the only modifications made to the instalation script are: (1)
Few hints from Paul DuBois book & (2) Different version of MySQL.

Can somebody point me to the problem? Is in the script I am using is missing
something?

--
Paul DuBois, MySQL Documentation Team
Madison, Wisconsin, USA