John Mistler wrote:

I'm having trouble getting this line to work.  I have tried:

kill `cat /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql/data/localhost.pid`
-> Not a directory
kill `cat /usr/local/mysql/data/localhost.pid`
-> Permission denied

I'm not sure if I have the wrong hostname, or if the command is more flawed
than that.

Could be both; to start with, though, it should be pretty easy to confirm exactly where *.pid is, eh? If you're sure that the base directory is '/usr/local/', run

  sudo find /usr/local -type f -name '*.pid' -print

and see what turns up.

Note: On my Powerbook, mysql data files (including .err, .pid) are
located at /sw/var/mysql -- and I think they were installed there
by default, because I'd never have chosen that :-)

And the file name on my system is the actual hostname'.pid', *not*
just 'localhost.pid', in case that reference is literal...

HTH!
--
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                          dream.  code.