Aha, this revealed the .pid:

/usr/local/mysql-standard-4.0.18-apple-darwin6.8-powerpc/data/John-Mistlers-
Computer.local.pid

Now, this brings up a new question.  Is there a "sudo find" command I can
use to locate the proper .pid on any given computer?  I am hard coding this
into an application that will reset the root password to whatever the user
enters.  How can this be done if I don't know the location of the .pid file
ahead of time on their system?

Thanks,

John

P.S. Is the host name in my example "local" or