Yes, both user and group ownership of the mydb directory and all its sub
directories/files are mysql.

I also tried on server A 'mysqldump mydb > /tmp/mydb.dump'.  Then copy
/tmp/mydb.dump to server B.  On server B, I did 'mysql mydb <
/tmp/mydb.dump'.  Then I got

ERROR 1064 at line 11: You have an error in your SQL syntax near
'ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 COMMENT='List the names and
locations of fi' at line 12

Line 12 the above error refers to exists in the following CREATE TABLE
statement:

1. CREATE TABLE mytable (
2.   attachment_id mediumint(5) NOT NULL auto_increment,
3.   task_id mediumint(10) NOT NULL default '0',
4.   orig_name varchar(100) NOT NULL default '',
5.   file_name varchar(30) NOT NULL default '',
6.   file_desc varchar(100) NOT NULL default '',
7.   file_type varchar(50) NOT NULL default '',
8.   file_size mediumint(20) NOT NULL default '0',
9.   added_by mediumint(3) NOT NULL default '0',
10.   date_added varchar(12) NOT NULL default '',
11.   PRIMARY KEY  (attachment_id)
12.  ) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 COMMENT='List the names and
locations of files attached to tasks';

I did a test, seems after removing 'DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1' from line 12,
the table could be imported fine.  Is there some syntax of version 3.*
that is not supported in version 5.*?  Like I said, there are a lot tables
that need to be transferred, manually editting the dump file is not
acceptable.  Any workaround?

Bing