Hi All,

I'm currently engaged in a project to implement  full text searching
of our product database. The current implementation was written for an
older version of MySQL and doesn't implement BOOLEAN MODE.

Currently, the full text search is against a de-normalised table from
fields icluding the products ID, title & description, in a simple
table :

CREATE TABLE text_search
{
    product_uid int(10) NOT NULL,
    rank int(10) NOT NULL DEFAULT 0,
    txt TEXT
}

with the full text index set up against txt.

There are several problems with this implementation, firstly the
de-normalised "txt" field doesn't include all information on a
product, so I would like to implement the search against the full
product table. There are approx 65,000+ products in the table, and the
index would be on 2 or 3 fields in that table. Has anyone retro-fitted
a full text index to a production database? Is there an established
strategy for doing this?

Because of the nature of our business we sell a lot of products where
the keyword is 3 letters, DVD, USB, DDR etc etc. The manual mentions
that while you can reduce the minimum number of letters, it's not a
good idea "Modifying the default behavior will, in most cases, make
the search results worse." it says. Is there a better way to ensure
these search terms are included in the index?

Finally, we also carry parimetric data on our products, it would be
good to include this information in the full text search. The only way
I can think of is to create a seperate full text index on the table
storing the parimetric data, and then run the query against both
tables, mergeing the results in code.

--
-S