> Does that mean the max. string that can be indexed
> and therefore searched on is 500 chars? What exactly
> is this limitation?
I may have been wrong on this limit.  I know I read
about it somewhere, but I can't seem to find out where
at the moment.  Since the fulltext index is maintained
as a seperate b-tree with each word from the record
and its local weight, I am nearly certain I was wrong
in making the 500 char limit assertion (though a
single word is limited to that length).

> Can I just add words or append words to the existing
> default stopword file? After I add words do I have
> reindex the fields or restart anything? (I'm using
> win32)

You can't modify the default stoplist, but you can
create your own using ft_stopword_file (just include
the words on the default stoplist).  If you change the
stopwords you must rebuild your index.

> If I insert/add a record to a "fulltext table" do I
> have
> to redo(reindex) anything? Assuming I'm using a
> recent ver.
> of MYSQL.

Fulltext indexes are maintained just as normal indexes
when you insert/update/delete rows.  They will
(sometimes greatly) affect the speed of your DML
operations, but no special synching is necessary to
keep them up to date with your table data.

> Thanks, just genral questions...thanks.
You are quite welcome.