> I've used it, with oracle, but oracles index
> searches are better, hit
> the best one first, then 2nd best, then 3rd, but I
> really dont want to
> go to oracle, it's too complicated for my tech's
Oracle rarely performs index merges, but it does have
the ability to do, which mysql lacks.

> Query time is a non issue at this point, it's load
> time, load daily file
> into temp table, then insert ignore into main table,
> on key violation
> the violating record is ignored
I know you don't want to go with Oracle, but I will
just add that it could help you here too, because it
can do parallel DML.  This is especially useful if you
have access to the partitioning option, because you
could then partition your data by hash and get a
number of bonuses.  #1 your index updates will be much
faster because there are a lot less rows to look
through.  #2 parallel DML can insert into multiple
partitions at once.

I am unsure if MaxDB supports any of those features,
though it may.  You may want to look into it to see if
they are.

I don't want to sound like I'm pushing Oracle.  I'm
not an Oracle sales rep, or anything like that.  I am
a professional Oracle DBA that happens to also use
mySQL a lot and I like both databases.  Sometimes one
is better than the other for solving a problem.