Egor Egorov wrote:

Money is not really an issue but of course we don't want to waste it for scsi-hardware if we can reach almost the same speed with hardware sata-raids.

'Almost' is a key word. Some SCSI disk are working at 15k RPM, which will give
you a HUGE MySQL performance growth compared to 10k disks.

AFAIR, there are no 15k RPM SATA disks yet.

But shouldn't a sata-based RAID10 with 8 discs do job as well? writes would be spread on 4 discs...
Has anybody experience with those external SCSI-to-SATA RAIDs?
A SCSI-solution would cost twice as much, but would it really speed things up compared to a massive use of parallel (raid0) sata-discs?
I know disc i/o is the bottleneck in our case, of course we want the fastest disc/raid-system we can possibly get for our money.
Is our thinking too simple or shouldn't it be possible to reach the speed of fast scsi-discs by simply taking 2-3 fast sata-discs in a hardware raid0?
Our goal is a raid10, so reading should be even faster.

Money is not really an issue but of course we don't want to waste it for We'd like to stay with x86 because all our hardware is intel/amd and all our servers are running debian-linux. Can we expect better performance or problems using kernel 2.6.x?

You can expect better performance on kernel 2.6.x of course, especially on
multiple requests.

Has anybody experiences with RAM-usage and cpu-architecture (please have a look at my earlier post)?

thanks
Jan