David Griffiths wrote:

We just put a new dual-Opteron server into our production environment. We ordered a Megaraid SCSI card and five 10k drives, and a 3Ware Escalade SATA card with six 7200 RPM drives (Maxtor) to see which ones were best.

Our network guy did a bunch of benchmarking on the drives and found that SCSI-RAID5 was a bit faster than SATA-RAID0+1.

The SATA was significantly cheaper (the 3Ware card was the same price as the Megaraid card, however). You might be able to tie a 10K SCSI rig if you went with the Western Digital Raptor drives.

We ended up putting the SATA drives in production - some bug in the SCSI driver kept crashing MySQL on index-creation, etc.

High Performance MySQL mentions that SCSI 15K drives are worth the extra money.

Thanks David for your post,
Does anybody else in this list have experience with SATA-RAIDs?
After having done some research it looks like we'll go with a dual-Opteron an 8-12GB of RAM and a SATA-RAID10 with 8-10 250GB-SATA-discs. We are just waiting for the NCQ-SATA-drives to be available and for 2 colleagues to return from vacation since we want everybody to be here when we do that major change. (looks like we'll order the system in 2-3 weeks if the harddiscs are available)

Our most important tables that get selects all the time and get updated up to 30 times a second each (or even more often depending on the time of the day) are of a total size of about 5-6 gigs.
Is it realistic thinking that mysql/innodb would keep those tables totally in memory and reply to all selects without reading from the disc when we increase innodb_buffer_pool_size to 7 or 8 gigs (assuming we have 12gigs of RAM)?

I just wanted to make sure nobody has hit problems with such systems. If you could just send a short "We're doing something like that and it works fine" I could definitly sleep better ;)

thanks for all the posts so far and pointing me towards the right direction!
Jan