Steve Richter wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Abbott [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2004 11:28 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: using mysql in commercial software

This may not be strictly legal, but you could have the end user download
MySQL...... to run with your software.....

exactly! Is Linux distributed under the same type of license as MySql? If I sell software that runs on linux I dont have to give away my code, right? To use my software you first have to install no charge Linux and MySql. Why would that not be permitted?

-Steve

Because the MySQL license does not allow you to use it free with commercial software that requires MySQL.
If you are running commercial software that requires MySQL you must buy a license.