At 03:41 AM 8/2/2004, Jeremy Zawodny wrote:
On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 11:49:02PM -0500, mos wrote:
> At 04:43 PM 7/26/2004, you wrote:
>
> >looks like the answer is no. As soon as fee based software touches the
> >mysql install on the PC, the user is obligated to pay the $250.
>
> Actually I believe the MySQL 4.x license is more stringent than that. If
> the MySQL database is distributed within a company for free, then a license
> is still required, unless the application is distributed under the
> GPL.

Huh?

I bet it depends on the country.  In the USA, companies are considered
singular legal entities.  "Internal distribution" is aking to giving
copies to yourself.

The GPL doesn't restrict that.

Well, I'm not so sure. Here it is straight from the horses mouth namely [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 "Free use for those who never copy,
modify or distribute. As long as you never distribute (internally or
externally) the MySQL Software in any way, you are free to use it for
powering your application, irrespective of whether your application is under
GPL license or not,"
http://www.mysql.com/products/licensing/opensource-license.html.

Changes in our licensing began in version 3.23.19  Changed copyright for all
files to GPL.  Prior versions can/could use the client libraries under the
LGPL license. <<

You notice they say "never distribute (internally or externally) the MySQL software in any way..". I don't know if the "MySQL Software" they are referring to are the MySQL libraries libmysql.dll or libmysqld.dll files which is needed to run most MySQL applications, or any file that comes from MySQL AB. I agree with you that it is rather stringent to prevent internal distribution of a MySQL application within a company, and I see no logical reason for preventing it. As I read it, the language they're using prevents the finance department from receiving a copy of the database and application from the sales department. But I'm not a lawyer, and I don't play one on TV, so if you want further clarification, contact [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Mike