----- Original Message -----
From: "mos" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> At 03:41 AM 8/2/2004, Jeremy Zawodny wrote:

> > > Actually I believe the MySQL 4.x license is more stringent than that.
If
> > > the MySQL database is distributed within a company for free, then a
> > license
> > > is still required, unless the application is distributed under the
> > > GPL.
> >
> >Huh?
> >
> >I bet it depends on the country.  In the USA, companies are considered
> >singular legal entities.  "Internal distribution" is aking to giving
> >copies to yourself.
> >
> >The GPL doesn't restrict that.
>

> Well, I'm not so sure. Here it is straight from the horses mouth namely
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>  >>
>   "Free use for those who never copy,
> modify or distribute. As long as you never distribute (internally or
> externally) the MySQL Software in any way, you are free to use it for
> powering your application, irrespective of whether your application is
under
> GPL license or not,"
> http://www.mysql.com/products/licensing/opensource-license.html.

Here's an interesting idea: What if you run a MySQL mirror (My company just
started hosting http://mirror.mirimar.net/mysql/ for example) - that wording
of the license is dangerous, because, as a company working with software/web
development, we'd be getting sucker punched for most apps because we
"distribute" MySQL software...  And I thought we were doing MySQL AB a
favor! ;-)

  Issac