At 15:35 -0500 7/27/04, Whil Hentzen wrote:
Hi folks,

Just installed MySQL 4 on my Fedora Core 2 box (that didn't have any mysql on
it initially.) Three questions.

I'm reading through the doc (gasp!) on the mysql.com site, specifically, 2.4
Unix Post Installation Procedures:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Unix_post-installation.html

The first sentence in the last paragraph before the numbered steps says:

"In the examples shown here, the server runs under the user ID of the mysql
login account."

1. I'm confused what the 'mysql login account' is. Does this mean the user who
has logged into the Linux box, or is this a mysql-specific user (a user
account that is in the mysql databases.)

It's a Linux login account with a name of "mysql". Like your login account that you use to log in on your Linux box, but with a different name. Other names for this might be shell account or system account.

It's not a MySQL user account.

If it's a separate (new) user on the Linux box, where in the doc does it say to set this guy up before running the post-install stuff?

In the two sentences following the sentence that you quote above. The full paragraph is:

In the examples shown here, the server runs under the user ID of the
mysql login account. This assumes that such an account exists. Either
create the account if it does not exist, or substitute the name of a
different existing login account that you plan to use for running the
server.

If you install using an RPM, the account should be created for you.

2. I've read several books and they all have different routes to getting the
same thing done. I was working off of a book that used an older version
(3.2.x) and followed its instructions (using tar xfz), and messed up the
installation.

To remove all traces of mysql to start over, can I just delete everything in
the /usr/local/mysql directory as noted in 2.1.5 Installation Layouts on the
mysql.com doc? Is there anything else I have to do?

3. After installation, I ran the mysql_install_db as root, but without a
--user-mysql parm. I do not understand the difference between running
mysql_install_db
  and
mysql_install_db --user=mysql

If you don't use the --user=mysql option, the directories and files that mysql_install_db creates will be owned by root, which likely will prevent you from running the server as mysql unless you chown/chgrp them later. Use --user=mysql and you won't have to do that.

-- Paul DuBois, MySQL Documentation Team Madison, Wisconsin, USA MySQL AB, www.mysql.com