> >Got it. One of those 'had to read and re-read' multiple times things.
> >
> >>  If you install using an RPM, the account should be created for you.
> >
> >I've done this now. I ripped out all the old files, did a complete RPM
> > install and up to testing, everything ran fine.
> >
> >In order to see if the server was running, I did a ps-aux to see if I had
> > any mysql processes running, and there they were, about a half-dozen of
> > them.
> >
> >Then, on step 4 of post-installation, it says to
> >
> >    bin/mysqladmin version
> >
> >This command fails regardless of what permutation I try. I can't find
> >mysqladmin anywehre on my system, either as a regular user or as root.
>
> Hm, I don't think I understand what you mean.  Do you mean you that when
> you execute the program, it runs but fails to connect to the server,
> or that you cannot even find the program to try to run it?

I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear. (Jessh, Whil!)

Door #2 - the system responds with "cannot find program".

> If you installed using the server RPM, that doesn't include any of the
> client programs.  There is a separate client RPM that you must install.

Ah, I see; I didn't realize that mysqladmin was a _client_ program. I d/l'd
that but neglected to install it. I was still working on the server part.

> Or is your (current) installation installed from a .tar.gz file, or
> did you build it from source?

Nope, RPMs, but you answered my question. I've just installed the client stuff
and mysqladmin runs 'version' and ' -u root shutdown' fine.

It took me a while to get to restart the server. I'm still having a bit of
trouble understanding all the various alternatives.

1. As Linux user 'root', /usr/bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql

Done this. Works fine.

2. As Linux user 'mysql, /usr/bin/mysqld_safe

But what is the password of Linux user 'mysql'? This user was created
automatically by the RPM script.

3. As Linux user 'ordinary_joe', /usr/bin/mysql_safe --user=mysql

this fails. Is there a way to make this work?

I'm getting there....

--
Whil

Moving to Linux: Freedom, Choice, Security, Opportunity
http://www.hentzenwerke.com