> >I'm reading through the doc (gasp!) on the mysql.com site, specifically,
> > 2.4 Unix Post Installation Procedures:
> >http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Unix_post-installation.html
> >
> >The first sentence in the last paragraph before the numbered steps says:
> >
> >"In the examples shown here, the server runs under the user ID of the
> > mysql login account."
> >
> >1. I'm confused what the 'mysql login account' is. Does this mean the user
> > who has logged into the Linux box, or is this a mysql-specific user (a
> > user account that is in the mysql databases.)
>
> It's a Linux login account with a name of "mysql".  Like your login
> account that you use to log in on your Linux box, but with a different
> name. Other names for this might be shell account or system account.
>
> It's not a MySQL user account.

Got it. I see where I went wrong - using the binary distr doc after I did a
source installation.

> >If it's a separate (new) user on the Linux box, where in the doc does it
> > say to set this guy up before running the post-install stuff?
>
> In the two sentences following the sentence that you quote above.  The
> full paragraph is:
>
> In the examples shown here, the server runs under the user ID of the
> mysql login account. This assumes that such an account exists. Either
> create the account if it does not exist, or substitute the name of a
> different existing login account that you plan to use for running the
> server.

Got it. One of those 'had to read and re-read' multiple times things.

> If you install using an RPM, the account should be created for you.

I've done this now. I ripped out all the old files, did a complete RPM install
and up to testing, everything ran fine.

In order to see if the server was running, I did a ps-aux to see if I had any
mysql processes running, and there they were, about a half-dozen of them.

Then, on step 4 of post-installation, it says to

   bin/mysqladmin version

This command fails regardless of what permutation I try. I can't find
mysqladmin anywehre on my system, either as a regular user or as root.

I've been through all of the steps in the 2.4 troubleshooting guide:
1. I'm using MySQL out of the 'box' - no special options at all.
2. The data dirs (and files) are in /var/lib/mysql
3. The data dirs and files are owned by user mysql, group root. (mysqld --help
works fine)
4. The server started fine. It's just mysqladmin that doesn't work, because it
doesn't exist anywhere.

Doesn't mysqladmin work when the daemon is running? (stupid question, I know,
but I've been through this troubleshooting guide paragraph by paragraph
multiple times and this one isn't covered.)
--
Whil

Moving to Linux: Freedom, Choice, Security, Opportunity
http://www.hentzenwerke.com