The problem with putting the OS on the same drive as the database is that they will be competing for the drive resources. On the flip side, following the "safety first" rule will make sure your system will stay up if a drive fails. I always go for safety first.
If you are going to put everything on the mirrored drives, I would make sure you have plenty of RAM. Your worst case scenario is having the OS doing a lot of paging, due too lack of RAM, while your database is very active. The OS will always use the disk (i.e. writing logs), but if you can keep the OS activity to minimum, your performance hit should be negligible.

Get all the performance you can out of tweaking the MySQL and other settings first, then you can resort to the hardware. I assume you are using software mirroring and perhaps even just one IDE controller for both drives (master/slave setup). Both give you performance hits, especially having one controller. But it's definitely a workable setup that still should give you decent performance.