stan wrote:

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 05:35:21PM -0500, john roberts wrote:

I've thought about doing this also.  I'm wondering why you wouldn't want to go
diskless.  Why not boot of the net?

Is it the boot-up time you're concerned about?

Have you made a diksless frontend work? If os, have you any pointers to a
good HOWTO?

I have a diskless frontend based on slackware. Made netbooting work at least half a year ago based on the PXE documentation. Slackware is pretty easy to make netbooting working. Once you have the setup to get a kernel booted from the network its easy. You make a basic installation on a HD and then copy that onto the file server. Once there you can extend using the netbooted kernel.

Cheers,

Rudy