On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 10:21 -0500, Tom wrote:
> Hi all,
>    I've been following the list for a while trying to gather info on
> getting myth installed on a x86_64smp machine. I started this almost a
> year ago, and have been waiting for progress on the ivtv driver to catch
> up with my 64-bit system. Following the posts on this list, it seems as
> if some x86_64 people have had some luck getting myth going. Good news!
>
> I am going to dive in and try again, and I was hoping some of the people
> who had successfully installed myth on a 64 bit machine could give me an
> idea of what to look for and what to avoid. I'd like to use packages but
>   am not averse to compiling if I had to.

I've been running myth on a x86_64 box for about a month and here's what
I've got:

The good:
1. It's fast.
2. ivtv compiled without a problem.
3. Pretty much everything works (see "The bad" for what doesn't)

The bad:
1. I can't compile it to get a backtrace.
2. The mythphone module always crashes the frontend just by having its
plugin in /usr/local/share/mythtv/plugins/.  I never use it, so I
haven't checked it out.
3. Mythvideo crashes the frontend when you go into list mode unless you
have only 1 directory and everything in subdirs.  There's a thread about
it from the last few days.
4. MythMusic won't compile because of goom issues unless you apply a
patch posted to the list.  I'm not sure if its applied to CVS yet.
5. ivtv gives a *ton* of errors when recording, so I had to turn off
debugging mode on the driver.  This may be more related to my chipset
than the fact that it's x86_64.

The ugly:
1. Not a lot of people are going the x86_64 route.  If you're planning
on using Fedora Core 3, expect problems.  Lots of problems.  You may
want to consider Gentoo.  So I'd recommend compiling myth and going with
CVS.

        -I