I always have to reinstall most of my drivers, particularly my nVidia
drivers, after I recompile the kernel.  I'm a newbie when it comes to
linux, so there might be a better way to do it, but yes... reinstall
the nVidia drivers after a kernel recompile.

oh, and if the TV is "ruined", I'll take it off your hands :) haha