Rob Hillis wrote:

My understanding is that with Foxtel analogue, a DVB-S card with the right CAM module and the smartcard, Myth will quite happily work. Last I heard, Foxtel digital uses a different encoding method for which an appropriate CAM module is not yet available.

As for the orginal poster, I don't know what hardware is required to receive Foxtel analogue. I have heard of people having success with it.

Hey all,

I just wanted to clarify a few things. I'm a current Austar Pay TV subscriber and would like to use a DVB-S card in my HTPC to digitally capture the Austar signal rather than use analogue inputs and an IR blaster etc. That means I need a DVB-S card and an appropriate CAM to plug my Austar smartcard into. The tricky thing is to get a card that will support an appropriate CAM with an appropriate firmware version that will work with the DVB-S feed.

So if anybody on the list is currently using DVB-S with Austar or Foxtel "analogue" (old pre-digital service) I'd appreciate any recommendations you could give on what DVB-S card to use as well as CAM firmware revisions etc.

As an aside, my understanding of the current Pay TV situation in Australia is that Austar uses, and will continue to use Irdeto2 encryption - for which CAMs are available. I think the "analogue" Foxtel service also uses Irdeto encryption (not sure if it's Irdeto 1 or 2 at the moment). However as a previous poster mentioned, Foxtel Digital has moved to a different encryption scheme for which no CAMs will be available. Interestingly though, I understand that Foxtel are about to release a PVR for use with their Pay TV service. Seems a little monopolistic doesn't it ?

Thanks,
Damien.

--
Now listening to -  The Doors / Bright Midnight : Live In America / Light My
Fire