I certainly would have thought that most WM's are lighter than two X
sessions, but I may be wrong on that.

Of course you are absolutely correct.  Now I will have to figure out how to
completely disable all aspects of a completely new window manager :)

Just for the record, I wanted to do the same thing... no WM at all. I still use my script which fires up a bare X (no xmd/gdm/kdm), and runs just what I want.

I have chosen 'ratpoison' as my WM of choice. Perfect for a PVR... no decorations/titlebars, etc. Everything is full-screen, and you can pull up a terminal with a keystroke that mimics the 'screen' terminal program.

-Cory