I'm running a front end (not to TV) on my Mac G4 laptop (1.6Ghz)- which has a hair more power than the mini.  Here, I'm using 33% of my CPU when watching a show.  The show is recorded with a PVR350 at high quality (720x480?).  Seeing as the mini is only a little less brainy than this machine, I think it would work just fine as a front end.  I don't know anything about HDTV though.  The S-video output adapter is an optional purchase for $19; it comes with DVI and VGA output.

btw- on a remote front end, when I pause live tv, that's still using the buffer defined on the back end, right?  Starting a show, I hear the hard drive buzzing away in my laptop...

   Todd