For what its worth, I use the DCT-6200 and Firewire reliably.  However, I can't give you my system specifics, since my root partition of my HD crashed yesterday, and I can't boot the system.  However, it took a while to get it to work right, and each system reboot (which thankfully wasn't often) required a manual process.  I was using the firewire port built-in to the Foxconn motherboard.

(1) Run plugreport: .  Each time I rebooted, the DCT would show up either in node 0 or node 1 (often changing per reboot).  So, for each reboot, I would have to re-run mythtvsetup and change the DCT-6200 node if it had changed.  There seemed to be no rhyme or reason as to why it keeps changing nodes on reboots.

(2) Get test-mpeg2 to work:  On each reboot, I would need to run "test-mpeg2 -r [NODE#]"  mutiple times (This step is KEY!!) until I get some output.  You'll know when you get output, its basically a stream of binary junk to stdout.  If you don't see output after 1 second, press ctrl-c and try again.  With 10 tries, you'll get it to work.

(3) Now start mythbackend, and it should work "reliably" until the next reboot.

Hope this is helpful.  Once I rebuilt my machine with a new HD, I'll be happy to answer specific config questions...

-- Todd

Big Wave Dave wrote:
Was this using  Myth from src?... or running the lastest RPMs posted on ATrpms?

I'm running the latest "stable" (non-bleeding) RPMs, and have the same problems as Curtis.

My FireWire card:
Kouwell Model KW-1582V - (aka BTC 1394 PCI Card)
http://www.kouwell.com.tw/pr-m3.htm#1582v

If I recall correctly, it was listed in linux1394.org compatibility list at the time I bought it.

Thanks,
Dave

Since it will likely be asked:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] mythtv]# rpm -qa | grep myth
mythweb-0.18-67.at
mythbrowser-0.18.1-112.rhfc3.at
mythtv-theme-purplegalaxy-0.20031214-3.at
myththemes-0.18-104.at
mythtv-0.18.1-113.rhfc3.at
mythweather-0.18.1-112.rhfc3.at
mythtv-theme-MythCenter-0.17-1.at