On Jan 22, 2006, at 6:03 PM, Trey Boudreau wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 05:42:50PM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
>>
>> Nobody ever complained about having too much CPU, or RAM, I'd go for
>> the best I could afford.
>>
> Sometimes "all the CPU you can afford" choice gets you into the "more
> fan noise than you can stand" configuration.

True. There *are* quieter solutions, like liquid cooling, but I
consider them a bit overkill (ever been around an old Cray when the
backup cooling fans kicked in after a liquid failure? Any paper
within 10 feet was flying!)

> As to RAM, you'd do well to follow my First Law of Computing:
>
>   Thou shalt not swap.

Perhaps, but if you find yourself with unused RAM you could always
use it as ramdisks for your oft-accessed data. I guess when you got
to where you were never waiting on disk access you would be happy,
and broke.