Maggie, I was going to write about this a couple of months ago, but forgot about it. It is not California.

Maly's started slowly getting rid of the nail supplies. CND started going first and now OPI. This started last year and slowly the inventory is done to a 1/4 of what it was. the girls said they had no idea what they would end up with, but hardly anything.

So went to Cosmo and said, hey Maly's iscutting back, why don't you stock up. Well as of last month, they started putting OPI and CND on a seperate shelf and informed me these will all be discontinued. We will hardly carry any of the products.

I purchase all polish, files, wipes, removers, pedicure lotions, scrubs, dehydrators, ac brushes, etc. from these two stores. Refuse to pay shipping and handling for these items. I do purchase ac and gel from on-line distributors.

So is this a distributor issue or manuf. issue?
Are sales so bad for OPI and CND that major dist. have to make room for other manuf (non nail related). Is OPI and CND doing great at sales, but the distributor wants more room for hair produts?
What products are techs using?
Where are they buying?
How do new techs out of school know where to buy products?(students always go to local dist. to get their first "feel")
How do they find out about diff. products?
Are the BIG 2 in financial trouble?
Are the distributors in financial trouble?
How much is someone willing to pay UPS for supplies?
Are prices going to have to be increased by techs to compensate for purchasing ALL products thru shipping vs. distributors? Do we adjust the mark up on these retail items more than the 100% mark up and add the shipping and handling? Will polish sales go down(dist) because if distributors do not carry polish, colors are such a point of purchase sale (ah that looks pretty, I will try that one), vs trying to see what the color looks like on your monitor? Purchases at trade shows to stock up, is not a good idea either, because of the $50 charge of overweight baggage? And when you do go to a trade show and love a product, you have to think in the back of your head, okay, is this a product that I can easily re-stock, and will it cost me a fortune to get it to my door?

My rant Maggie, the world is a changin' and it will change the way we do biz. diana from indiana