It appears to be everywhere in the USA, because it's the same here in
Bowling Green, KY. I noticed it a few years ago and now it's gotten
much worse. State Beauty Supply started to get rid of someof their
nail products. Then they implemented some crazy thing called "broken
case pricing", or some such as that. What it boiled down to was that
if the individual State BS franchises ordered less than a case of 12
of any product, then they'd be charged more.

Evidently the factory worker had to take the time and trouble to open
up a case, so the powers-that-be deemed it no cost efficient, so they
tacked on an extra fee. Then in turn, our State BS (which is run by a
very nice family) had to charge more for every product if the
professionals bought less than 6, which is a half a case, so I'm not
getting the whole gist. But this is how I interpretted it when it was
explained to me.

So if I wanted to buy 1 OPI color, it would cost me more than the
going price. Never mind that I do not need 6 or more of the same OPI
color, or the same Backscratchers activator, or whatever. But for some
reason, the monthly sales items printed in the flyers were exempt, so
if the item was on sale you could buy less than 6 and not get
penalized. To me it was a bad business decision and I told the owners
that  (in a nice way) right before I took my business to Cosmoprof,
but we'll get to that later.

Then it snowballed, because techs traditionally don't make as much
money as the stylists and why pay more for something when you can
order it online AND have it shipped to you? So more techs started to
take their business elsewhere, too. First CND was dropped. Then they
started weeding out other nail items. I'd only drop in 1x a month to
see what was on sale, but I refuse to buy non-sale items and get
charged more!

So now State BS entire nail area fits onto 1 wall....perhaps 5 feet
wide x 7 feet tall, and I may be overly generous with those
dimensions. They have 1 or 2 main products of Gena's foot care line,
Backscratchers Stikr and Kikr and Extreme, and a few other things like
a bucket of mini callus eliminators left over from Christmas, a bucket
of small nail clippers, etc.

They have near the register a rotating tower of OPI products, mainly
polishes and such. And that about sums it up. The rest of the store
I've noticed has been rearranged to make wider isles, which means they
got rid of at least 1 isle and all those hair products that were on
that isles shelves, too. It looks definitely more sparse and like
times are hard for State BS.

As for Cosmoprof....they are expanding their nail product lines, but
still don't have the CND Effects on the shelves. Does this product
really even exist? It's as elusive as bigfoot! I had to tell the staff
about the new CND Shellac that was due out in May and I wanted to
order some. Don't know how much it'll be or what colors are available,
but if it does what it's supposed to, who cares?

10 to 1 Cosmoprof won't be able to order any for months.....probably
will be a backlog at the factory or something. I bet I'll get it from
an online source faster, wait and see. Another upside is that
Cosmoprof doesn't charge for "broken case pricing", so I can buy 1 of
something and pay the going rate.

The downside is that some of their products, like the ginormous CND
Scentsations lotions, have now turned to a funky brown color! They
need to face facts.....no one is going to buy that stuff now! They
need to just take the hit, ditch the expired products in the trash,
and use that valuable shelving space for current products. Why would
you want to sell a tainted product knowing full well that whoever buys
it is going to be unhappy and most likely bring it back for a refund?

The lesson seems to be that yes, our industry is changing and most
techs are  ordering more supplies online. That being said, why doesn't
State BS (and Cosmoprof and others) develop an online presence? They
could market it to the nail techs especially, reduce their overhead
costs of stocking store products that may or may not sell, and capture
a wider audience they are currently losing to other online nail sites?
I'm not suggesting they close their stores, but just add an online
division, too.

If they have to truck products from their main distribution center to
each and every beauty supply store, why can't they ship products from
online sales straight to our salons, too? If, as a company, you know
that you're losing nail product sales, wouldn't it be prudent to
investigate the reasons why, then adapt your business to recapture
lost sales? Perhaps the cost is not worth the gain? Or perhaps because
they waited too long that it's reached the point of no return for the
local beauty supply stores?

Jill Wright
Bowling Green, KY