Sent: Friday, December 09, 2011 10:24 AM
To: nailTech@googlegroups.com
Subject: NailTech:: huh..polish causes nail separation!

I recently referred a client to a podiatrist. I am hoping that in the New Year I will start working with this podiatrist on a sort of internship and then establish a referral system with her. I referred my client because her toe nails are separating from the nail bed, and taking on a new shape.....and it's really bothering her. Several years ago she went through a round of aggressive chemo and that's when I first started noticing a difference in the nail. I believe the problem is connected to that, I don't think there is any fungus growing under there.

The podiatrist is testing for fungus, but she advised my client that if she is wearing "nail polish" all the time that this could have caused the problem, and mentioned that she has seen this many times before. Her recommendation was to either stop wearing polish or go to the health food store and get some "healthy" polish. I believe she is talking about polishes with formaldehyde, toluene and DBP. So, I hadnt heard that these chemicals caused nail plate separation but that's interesting to know. The doc said that the chemicals penetrate the nail plate and seep into the soft tissue of the nail bed, cause this separation and also get into the blood stream.

I've used OPI, CND polishes for many years (and I believe they've been 3 free for many years). These days I seldom use polish.....most toes I do are Shellac or gel/glitter and I believe that is also "3 free"

Anyone know anything about this?

Holly Cliffe
Holly Cliffe Nail Design