Here is Doug's response"

Doug Schoon If your podiatrist was right, most people I know would have
onycholysis, since most wear polish non-stop. Clearly, the podiatrist is
mistaken and has made a broad general statement that is contrary to the known
facts. Most doctors and/or podiatrist know very little about these products
and/or services, but that doesn't stop many of them from giving their opinions.
The second problem is, they usually state their uninformed opinions as if they
were known "facts". I will also follow up by saying, these nail products and
services are for healthy nails and nail technicians are supposed to work only
on healthy nails. If the nail is not healthy, I recommend not providing
services until the condition is resolved.
26 minutes ago ยท Like

I have one concern with his response, being that we "should only work on
healthy nails".....which I think is a standard approach from a
manufacturer/supplier perspective and I understand why they have to say that.
From my perspective, down here in the trenches I often get clients who want an
unsightly nail worked on to make it match the rest.  There are lots of clients
out there who have issues that they feel make their hands or feet unsightly and
they come to me to make them look beautiful....that's part of what I do!  That
is not to say I work on a nail that I can see may have a fungus or some other
disorder that requires treatment.  So, my new question would be "What exactly
is a healthy nail"......onycholysis is not unusual to see (and it's possible
it's this particular client's issue), I've seen psoriasis on the nail plate (a
doctor actually recomended artificial nails to deal with that), i have had many
clients who have lost a nail so I build them a new one.....where do we draw the
line and call it a "unhealthy nail or condition".

Holly Cliffe
Vancouver, BC