Hi Sheila,

That had to be very hard for you and I'm sorry that it happened. I
know of another salon here in town that formed when everyone walked
out on the salon owner to follow another stylist when she opened her
shop. On the surface things seem to be going well for them, as it's
been probably 3-5 yrs. ago. But as for the salon owner they left
behind.....he's still doing his own thing and I don't know if he ever
filled their void or not. His salon used to be THE creme' de la creme'
of salons in town; the envy of many other salons. Now you never hear a
peep from it. His salon is paid for, so he really doesn't need their
income to survive. But what a HUGE financial blow it must have been
when they all left at once, as well as a HUGE emotional blow. Can't
help but to wonder if the new salon owner ever worries in the back of
her mind that a similar fate might be waiting for her somewhere down
the road.

>From talking with the stylists that left, they said they addressed
their complaints to the owner over several months, but that he
dismissed everything that anyone had to say. It became a real point of
contention that their concerns were being trivialized and no sort of
compromise was even entertained. Their feelings were not acknowledged
and they were made to feel insignificant. Basically he came right out
and told them that it was HIS shop and if they didn't like the way HE
was running things, they could always leave. And so they did.

I don't know if there was any of that going on in your situation, but
for whatever reasons all those stylists evidently felt they'd be
better off NOT working for you. Now you must dig deep within yourself
to pinpoint the role you played in it before history repeats itself
with your new hires. In most cases (and I've had this happen myself)
it all goes back to misunderstandings. Sometimes people aren't clear
on what they want or their expectations are unrealistic. When these
expectations aren't fulfilled then someone's feelings get hurt.
Instead of talking it out with each other, people (mainly women) tend
to sulk and hash it out with their girlfriends instead of just taking
their gripe to the person who offended them.

It's very, very hard to be brutally honest with yourself and admit
your faults, but it's essential for healing. We ALL make mistakes.
I've made thousands. The trick is learning from them and moving
forward. Like Trish said, think strongly about what you want out of
life, where you'd like to be in 5 yrs. or 10 yrs., then put pen to
paper and list the 'pro's' and 'con's' of owning your salon vs.
downsizing. Your answer will be much clearer after that.

Personally, I always thought I'd like to manage a salon and even went
back to college for a business degree. It was definitely worth it on
many levels, but it also helped me discover that I would probably NOT
be happy managing other people on a daily basis. I don't have the
temperament for all the salon drama, I have high expectations of
myself and others around me, and I don't like babysitting people who
can't get their act together. I have a tendency to be pretty honest,
and in a lot of cases that translates into a bluntness that many women
aren't used to. So I'd be the one who's staff would walk out on me:)

Jill Wright
Bowling Green, KY
www.nailtechevent.com