Hi there,
My husband is a semi pro photographer and retired attorney.  He says that
this is probably legit, and you can either pay it, or try to negotiate a
lower rate. It's good that you've taken the image down, contact them and
tell them it was a mistake, the image is down and ask them to lower the fee.

Susan

On Wednesday, March 14, 2012, Jill in Ky <jnai...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Now that you've taken it down, that should suffice. It sounds very
> fishy, too, cause normally from what I understand they first send you
> a letter explaining your violation and then tell you to remove it
> immediately. They traditionally do not shake people down for money
> right at the beginning. I'd definitely not pay a lawyer and I'd
> definitely not pay this company anything, not even if you bargained
> with them to lower the fee. It probably is some kind of scam.
>
> The company has to first sue you in court to get a judgment, and that
> will cost them way more than the $780 they're trying to charge you.
> And going thru the suit process just for $780 seems very unlikely,
> since that would also take months. I'd just tell them that you've
> taken the image down now that you're aware there was a problem and if
> they want any more from you they'll have to file a lawsuit.
>
> If by some odd, small chance that this company is legit and they do
> sue you, it'll take months and months. Then you'll get a notice to
> appear in court (due to the amount it''ll probably be in small claims
> court) and at that point you can call the company back and negotiate
> for a smaller settlement if you want.
>
> But think about it....anyone can send anyone a typed up, legal looking
> letter thru the mail and demand money for some random infraction that
> may or may not be true. Naive, honest people and old people
> automatically pay it with no questions asked  because they get scared
> that their credit will be ruined. And it's true that there isn't a
> debtors prison. They could be sitting at home trolling the internet or
> Facebook for beauty related businesses and sending hundred or
> thousands of people letters such as this. Think of the amount of money
> this alleged company or scam artist is making just if 10% of their
> targets pay up?
>
> You may want to also check this out on snopes.com where they list
> recent scams and such.
>
> Jill Wright
> Bowling Green, KY
>
> On Mar 13, 6:53 pm, Lauren Dodson <april392...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I got a letter today saying an image that I have on my website is copy
written and I need to send in $780 to Getty Images. It is a small photo of
nails that I pulled from the internet.  I have taken it down and will try
and deal with them to pay less money. Anyone been through this before?