> Seeing the rationale for rejecting the talk, I swore the reviewers
> must have looked at a different talk !

this is a fact of life submitting papers.  happens regularly with
academic pcs.  i had a paper rejected for a puny conference that
was then accepted for sigcomm this year.  go figure.

> 1) If people have the energy and time to contribute, they ought to be
> encouraged to do so.

yep.  but encouragement != acceptance.  do not make the pc a rubber
stamp

> 2) It is in the best interests of the community, from a long term
> perspective, to help develop these people with the inclination to
> contribute, and to help develop their presentations and ensure their
> continued willingness to contribute into the future.

and apple pie is wonderful, especially with vanilla ice cream.

> 3) The shepparding of *all* reasonably interesting talk ideas should
> be part of the process.

agreed

> Among people whose talks were rejected in the past,
> A) only a couple of them turned in presentation abstracts again,
> B) some don't attend NANOG again, soured by the experience or perhaps
> feeling that they clearly don't belong in this crowd, and/or
> C) relationships between the submitter and the members of the reviewer
> panel are strained

this is also a fact of life with pc-driven conferences.  the question
is whether the talk was mis-judges not whether the submitter had a
delicate ego.

> I don't think we are doing enough to actively go out and get good
> talks, sheppard the next generations of speakers, and grow the
> NANOG community.

i agree.  we are doing a lot, but, judging by the small number of
good submissions not enough.  either that, or nanog's days for
conference material have passed.

> A) Accountability. The program committee members each have to
> find and assemble 90 minutes of talks for the program at least
> once a year.

there are good recruiters.  there are good reviewers.  there are
good shepherds.  the three sets are rarely congruent.

> B) Transparency. The speaker prospects have the opportunity to
> have frank brainstorming and discussion session with the Program
> Committee member that is ultimately responsible for their
> section. The Program Committee person will know what the speaker
> will say, why the talk is important, and will ensure that if the
> talk is rejected, the rejected speaker will understand why the
> talk was rejected.

this is shepherding, not transparency.  it is good if done well.
if done poorly, very easy with a belligerent wannabe speaker with
ego, it can be a recipe for explosion.

> C) Leverage the Expertise and People Network of the Program
> Committee.  The charter currently says that all PC members will
> review all talks, a mistake in my opinion.

given the small number of talks, not a large mistake.  and it gets
us diverse expertise looking at the papers.  if we had 2x, 3x, or
more submissions, this would be an undue burden.

randy