I realized after I sent that message that it was unfair of me
to make statements without properly characterizing them with
context.

Let me say this: I believe NANOG has very much lost touch with the
base of it's constituency.

For instance: I made an offer a few weeks back to give a presentation
on what ISPs could to do to help in fighting cyber crime. I was told
that I need to follow "this procedure" and submit a proposal, etc.,
which is fine - I suppose. But it seems I have an easier time talking
at other venues as "invited talks" where I don't have to jump through
hoops to justify the content to a group of people who should already
know me, and the quality of my content/context.

For instance, I have an easier time talking at MAAWG, ACM Workshops,
APWG Counter eCrime workshops, etc.

And I say this not for my own issues here, but for others, as well.

I have had some very fond memories of NANOG, insofar as it being
an effective venue -- I'm not so sure any more. It's just not
relevant in its current form.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that in your efforts to be
effective, you are being self-defeating.

Just one observation.

Dismiss at will.

- - ferg

- -- "Paul Ferguson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

- -- "vijay gill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Really, reading this thread has left me stupider. I guess instead of
> focusing on things like the lightweight agenda, abysmal content and
> actual value to be had from NANOG,

I'm glad someone finally said it.

This is partially the reason why I don't bother with NANOG any more.

It is "governed" and bullied by a group of people who think way
too much of themselves, and in fact, consume way too much bandwidth
discussing themselves.

Some of us have networks to tend, and other more pressing issues.

$.02,

- - ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson