On 10/8/07, Paul Ferguson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>

For instance: I made an offer a few weeks back to give a presentation
> on what ISPs could to do to help in fighting cyber crime. I was told
> that I need to follow "this procedure" and submit a proposal, etc.,
> which is fine - I suppose. But it seems I have an easier time talking
> at other venues as "invited talks" where I don't have to jump through
> hoops to justify the content to a group of people who should already
> know me, and the quality of my content/context.

The current charter mandates that all PC members review all presentations
submitted for NANOG. No flexibility here.

But...

There is a charter amendment on the upcoming election to strike that text so
the PC will have the ability to self manage their process of recruiting and
selecting talks and speakers.

One can envision for example a variety of program committee solutions
including assigning a 90 minute section of the agenda to a group of 3 pc
members with expertise in routing, who recruit and coordinate the best
speakers they can find in this area on topics of significance to the NANOG
community. Their participation in the pc could then be valued based on the
quality of that section of the agenda. Etc. There are many ways to self
organize to create an agenda besides everyone submits a form and everyone
reviews everything.

Thanks for bringing it up Paul - I believe this will get better when the
charter amendment is passed and the new PC builds the next NANOG agenda.

Bill