From: Philip Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: nanog-futures@nanog.org <nanog-futures@nanog.org>
Sent: Mon Jul 14 22:52:44 2008
Subject: Re: [Nanog-futures] Bhutan discovers the "NANOG Problem"...

Robert Seastrom said the following on 7/7/08 05:16:
> It seems that Bhutan is having trouble with web surfing and gaming
> during their sessions:
>
> http://uk.reuters.com/article/technologyNewsMolt/idUKB12933220080630

It is a thought though...

Should we try a NANOG without network or power provision in the main
plenary room? People would have to listen to the presenter with 100%
attention then. Would this make the programme better? Would there be
more Q&A? Would there be more discussion in panel sessions? Would it
make NANOG better overall?

Some meetings I go to now have enforced laptop bans so that the topics
under discussion have less chance of distracted participants.

(I still remember some of the feedback from the NANOG IPv6 hour back in
February - even having no IPv4 connectivity for 60 minutes was
equivalent to the end of the world for some people. Left me wondering
what the actual plenary session was for.)

Having just come back from JANOG, while JANOG apparently had wireless
for the first time ever, there was no power in the room. Longlife
batteries needed. I noticed the majority of the audience was actually
sitting and listening to the presentations, and there was good Q&A after
most of them.

philip

QUALITY TECHNOLOGY SERVICES CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail message
including its attachments is classified COMPANY CONFIDENTIAL.  It is intended
for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential
material.  Quality Technology Services controls the distribution of COMPANY
CONFIDENTIAL assets, as such, any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
contact us at [EMAIL PROTECTED] or 866-239-5000 and destroy all copies of the
original message.  Thank you.