On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 3:28 PM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Let this be a vote for *no* on shutting off net access.
>
> It's not really an either/or situation. There are ways to
> have both, and, as we both pointed out, there are good reasons
> why speakers should not assume that room full of laptop users
> means their talk is being ignored. There is still an attentive
> audience, either in the room following along on their laptop or
> elsewhere watching the video today or tomorrow or next year.

 It really is an either/or situation. Any kind of attempt to force attention
by using a coercive function such as shutting of network access will result
in epic failure. Simply because the network acts as a safety valve in case
of a really boring presentation. Anyone remember the red-router-blue-router
preso a few years ago? If there was no net to act as a valve, I believe the
audience could have turned violent and we don't want our presenters
dismembered and the body parts strewn about now do we? If you think getting
material is hard now, wait till the first mob attack happens and then try to
solicit presentations.

In short, instead of coercive action, how about the presenters learn to be
more relevant, interesting, or fun.

/vijay