Alan Clegg wrote:

> I understand why it's annoying... and it is disrespectful to the
> speaker.  Nothing like being the guy standing up there and 1/2 of the
> audience not paying attention.  I'd rather they not show up at all.

But there's nothing like being the guy (or gal) walking up to present,
and seeing 2/3 of the audience leaving.

I usually sit in row 2.  I don't want to have to focus on the presenter
through 20 rows of chatter.  That said, I often use my laptop to view
the presentation PDF, so I can stare/scroll/browse in a way that helps
_me_ learn.  Good luck yanking my connection; I'll just vote with my
wallet, and your registration fees will go up.

pt