On 1-May-2009, at 17:03, Steve Feldman wrote:

> My personal opinion (not wearing SC hat for the moment) is that
> enumeration of specific subjects which are on and off topic is an
> infinite rathole.
>
> I'd rather see more generic guidelines, like maybe:
>
>   - If there's a well-known mailing list for the subject, discussion
> should be redirected there.

I don't think even that is universally helpful. It's not hard to find
examples of outages which spawn operationally-helpful and surely on-
topic replies on NANOG which would likely not happen on the outages
list (for example).

I think trying to define what is off-topic is a waste of time.

I'd prefer the MLC to treat each case on its merits, and to work with
a light touch to keep the list useful. Do the MLC volunteers feel that
this isn't working?

It's not clear to me exactly what problem this proposed solution is
aimed at.

Joe