On 26 Apr 2019, at 5:49 PM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via NANOG <nanog@nanog.org>
wrote:
> Not only that. I really think they have not invested enough time to read the
> proposal, check with the authors and then take a decision. We have got some
> email exchange, but clearly not sufficient. I also must state that the staff
> has been very helpful and diligent to clarify and support the petition
> process. Just the point is, should have never been needed, it exposes how bad
> (in my opinion) is the ARIN AC model.

Jordi -

I have no views on the particular policy proposal or the petition action, but
want to be clear regarding some of your characterizations of the ARIN Policy
Development Process (ARIN PDP).  It is correct that the ARIN Advisory Council
(a body elected by the ARIN membership) is in charge of administering the
policy development process, including working with submitters to get their
proposals accepted as draft policies and revising draft policies based on the
community discussion.

In general, policy proposals are discussed at length between the submitter and
the assigned ARIN Advisory Council (ARIN AC) members, with the goal of making a
clear and understandable statement of the problem in number resource policy
that is to be addressed – as that is the required criteria for a Draft Policy.
Once a policy proposal has a clear problem statement, the ARIN AC accepts it as
a Draft Policy and it is discussed (often at length) on the ARIN Public Policy
Mailing List.   The ARIN AC works diligently with submitters to make sure that
their proposals are clear and adopted as Draft Policies, and this occurs even
when the assigned AC members don’t necessarily support the merits of the
particular proposal.   The strength of the ARIN PDP process is that nearly
anyone can submit an idea for changes to our number resource policy (even with
no knowledge of ARIN's policy development process) and the ARIN AC becomes
their advocate in getting a clear draft policy put before the community for
discussion.   We have had policy proposals made by several segments of the
Internet community that are not deeply involved in the RIR system or the
network operator community, but have insight into specific problems in number
resource policy that they were able to get addressed.

There is an exception to this process, i.e. a case where the ARIN AC doesn’t
work on a policy proposal, and it occurs with proposals which lie outside the
scope of number resource policy.  The ARIN AC does make an initial
determination of whether the policy proposal is within scope – the reason for
such an evaluation is to make sure that the community doesn’t spend its time
working on proposals which aren’t germane to how ARIN administers number
resources, and I will note the overwhelming majority of policy proposals meet
this criteria with ease.  Additionally, ARIN’s Policy Development Process
contains many “checks and balances” to provide for the development of fair and
impartial policy, and as you are aware, in the case of a policy proposal out of
scope, there is a petition with a very low threshold (10 supporters) to provide
for referral to ARIN’s Board of Trustees for review and final determination.
Having the Board of Trustees handle such determinations makes perfect sense, as
they are ultimately responsible for determining the scope of ARIN’s mission.

I understand that your policy proposal has been deemed out of scope, but I’d
like to point of that such events are a very rare occurrence, and do not
reflect the circumstances that the vast majority of submitters face when
working with the ARIN AC and the ARIN Policy Development Process.   You might
not see the merits of the ARIN Advisory Council administration of ARIN’s policy
development process, but their efforts are almost universally in support of
those submitting policy proposals, and the effectiveness of their advocacy
demonstrated by the long line of clear, technically sound and useful policy
changes in the ARIN region.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran