On 5/19/24 3:13 PM, David Conrad via NANOG wrote:
> When you say “ICANN” who, exactly, do you mean?  ICANN the organization or
> ICANN the community?  If the former, ICANN Org can’t do anything outside of
> ICANN community defined policy or process or risk all sorts of
> unpleasantness from internal policies to lawsuits to the ICANN Board being
> spilled.  If you mean the latter, ICANN org must abide by the ICANN
> community’s demands or you get to the same point as previously mentioned.
> That’s the whole point behind the “Empowered Community."

Suppose the community wanted to change this or make a formal policy on root
server hosting requirements.  Where would this be done?  Could a party submit
a proposal to ICANN via the policy development process?  If not where should
the community start this?

Please note, I'm not taking a position, only asking where the community needs
to start.
--
Bryan Fields

727-409-1194 - Voice