> On May 18, 2024, at 02:30, William Herrin <b...@herrin.us> wrote:
> So Cogent operates a root server because they bought PSI who ran a
> root server and ICANN has never chosen to throw down the gauntlet.

As John said, ICANN has nothing to do with who runs root servers.  Last I knew,
NTIA still believed that NTIA selects the root server operators.  Eventually
the last person at NTIA who still knows what that means will retire, and then
nobody in the USG will believe that they have responsibility.  Then, ICANN
lawyers will presumably start insinuating that, actually, ICANN can do what it
wants there.  Which they’ve already laid the groundwork for by failing to
reassign the L-root nameserver for the last twenty-two years.  Not a task that
should take twenty-two years, in my opinion…  CGI is perfectly capable, and
there are no root servers administered in the southern hemisphere.  State and
Commerce were considering reassigning it as an apology for the Rousseff spying
incident in 2013, but they didn’t quite get it together to act.

                                -Bill