On Jan 5, 2010, at 12:19 PM, Rick Ernst wrote:

> I'd argue just the opposite.  If your monitoring/mitigation system changes
> dependent on the situation (normal vs under attack), you are adding
> complexity to the system.
>  "What mode is the system in right now? Is this customer having connectivity
> issues because of a state change in the network? etc."

I strongly disagree with this, except for properties which are under sustained
attack 24/7.  If one has constructed one's
detection/classification/traceback/mitigation system properly, one always knows
at a glance the state of the system.

Otherwise, whenever there's any issue whatsoever with the properties under
protection, one must try and prove a negative - i.e., that the mitigation
solution isn't causing the problem.  Happens every time, heh.

> I know you said "generally", but if I'm seeing 200Kpps from a.b.c.d, I don't
> care if a.b.c.d is spoofed. I want the traffic blocked from the guts of my
> network.

Not if it's legit, you don't, or if the attacker is spoofing, say, the IPs of
the root nameservers, or the TLDs, or an e-commerce/supply-chain partner . . .
or if the attack is originating behind a broadband mega-proxy, or a mobile CGN.

;>

Also, if you've a variety of tools at your disposal, like S/RTBH and/or
flow-spec, and then more sophisticated (and expensive) tools like IDMS, the
freedom to choose the least intrusive/most situationally-appropriate tool to
mitigate a given attack is essential for resource preservation and the ability
to oversubscribe the more sophisticated tools.

> Note that my original question was in the context of "a D/DoS composed of
> lots of itty-bitty packets".  Other attack mechanisms do not necessarily lend
> themselves to "chop 'em off at the knees."

Absolutely, which is where the situationally-specific selection of tools/modes
comes into play.

Roland Dobbins <rdobb...@arbor.net> // <http://www.arbornetworks.com>

    Injustice is relatively easy to bear; what stings is justice.

                        -- H.L. Mencken