On Nov 22, 2010, at 7:25 AM, Joe Abley wrote:

> On 2010-11-22, at 00:00, Jeffrey Lyon wrote:
>
>> Indeed, offshore resolvers, offshore DNS infrastructure and the
>> progressive's futile attempts at interference with free markets is
>> once again thwarted. We all know that U.S. law helps keep the internet
>> safe </sarcasm>
>
> You don't think
>
> "(i) a service provider, as that term is defined in section 512(k)(1) of
> title 17, United States Code, or other operator of a domain name system
> server shall take reasonable steps that will prevent a domain name from
> resolving to that domain name’s Internet protocol address;"
>
> could be taken as a requirement for providers to intercept attempts to use
> off-network DNS resolvers and manage such requests to meet the end goal above?
>
> Given that many providers already do this (for whatever reason), it's not
> much of a stretch to see someone declaring that such behaviour falls under
> the umbrella of "reasonable steps".
>
> I'm not suggesting that I think any of this is reasonable or sensible, but it
> does seem to imply an operational burden on service providers.

If it does, then, you'll find open tunnel servers providing tunnels to
off-shore DNS services.

Sigh.

I really wish congress had better things to do than getting into a technology
arms race with the people of the united states.
Oh, wait, they do have better things to do, they just aren't doing them.

Owen