The more I think about this COICA deal the more I can't even fathom how it
could be implemented.

If an upstream server won't resolve, what's to stop a network admin from using
an offshored DNS server, or even the root servers?

Unless we're talking about keeping DNS traffic confined to the ISP's network.
Then what's to stop a global HOSTS.TXT from circulating via torrent?

It's shortsighted and problematic, which is usually what happens when technical
discussions are dictated by politics.

-wil