On Jan 26, 2012, at 2:00 AM, George Bonser wrote:

>> Use different GUA ranges for internal and external. It's easy enough to
>> get an additional prefix.
>>
>>> As others have mentioned, things like management interfaces on access
>> switches, printers, and IP phones would be good candidates to hide with
>> ULA.
>>
>> Or non-advertised, filtered GUA. Works just as well either way.
>>
>> Owen
>>

> If one is obtaining "another" prefix for local addressing, I see no benefit.
> I am assuming that anyone that is using ULA is using it for things that don't
> communicate off the site such as management interfaces of things, etc.  This
> won't be a subnet you are connecting by VPN to another organization, usually,
> but even if you do the chances of collision is pretty low if you select your
> nets properly.  But for the most absolutely paranoid site, I can see some
> appeal in using ULA in conjunction with DNS64/NAT64 and see them giving the
> devices internet access via v4.  Not that I agree with the notion, mind you,
> just that I can see someone looking at that as an appealing solution for some
> things.  Even if someone managed to get through the NAT device via v4, they
> would have nothing to talk to on the other side as the other side is all v6.

Even if you don't see an advantage to GUA, can you point to a disadvantage?

IMHO, it would be far less wasteful of addressing overall to deprecate fc00::/7
and use unique secondary GUA prefixes for this purpose than to use ULA.

If you can't point to some specific advantage of ULA over secondary non-routed
GUA prefixes, then, ULA doesn't have a reason to live.

I'm not sure where DNS64/NAT64 comes into play here for v6 to v6 communication.
For IPv4, I don't see any advantage in ULA+NAT64 vs. the more reliable and
easier RFC-1918 with NAT44 possibilities, even if you have to run multiple
RFC-1918 domains to get enough addresses, that will generally be less
complicated and break fewer things than a NAT64 implementation.

Owen