On Jan 26, 2012, at 7:35 AM, Cameron Byrne wrote:

> > > If one is obtaining "another" prefix for local addressing, I see no
> > > benefit.  I am assuming that anyone that is using ULA is using it for
> > > things that don't communicate off the site such as management interfaces
> > > of things, etc.  This won't be a subnet you are connecting by VPN to
> > > another organization, usually, but even if you do the chances of
> > > collision is pretty low if you select your nets properly.  But for the
> > > most absolutely paranoid site, I can see some appeal in using ULA in
> > > conjunction with DNS64/NAT64 and see them giving the devices internet
> > > access via v4.  Not that I agree with the notion, mind you, just that I
> > > can see someone looking at that as an appealing solution for some things.
> > >  Even if someone managed to get through the NAT device via v4, they would
> > > have nothing to talk to on the other side as the other side is all v6.
> > >

> > Even if you don't see an advantage to GUA, can you point to a disadvantage?
> >
> > IMHO, it would be far less wasteful of addressing overall to deprecate
> > fc00::/7 and use unique secondary GUA prefixes for this purpose than to use
> > ULA.
> >
> > If you can't point to some specific advantage of ULA over secondary
> > non-routed GUA prefixes, then, ULA doesn't have a reason to live.
> >

> 1. You don't want to disclose what addresses you are using on your internal
> network, including to the  rir

Seriously?
> 2. You require or desire an address plan that your rir may consider wasteful.

Have you looked at current IPv6 policies? It's pretty hard to imagine
implementing one.
> 3. You don't want to talk to an rir for a variety of personal or business
> process  reasons

Meh. I have little or no sympathy for this.
> 4.  When troubleshooting both with network engineers familiar with the
> network as well as tac engineers,  seeing the network for the first time,
> ula sticks out like a sore thumb and can lead to some meaningful and
> clarifying discussions about the devices and flows.

I can see this, but, to me it seems like a double edged sword. Most things that
stick out like a sore thumb are inflamed and painful. I don't see this as an
exception.
> 5. Routes and packets leak. Filtering at the perimeter? Which perimeter?
> Mistakes happen. Ula provides a reasonable assumption that the ISP will not
> route the leaked packets. It is one of many possible layers of security and
> fail-safes.

Routes only leak if the routes exist on the border routers in the first place.
If I were using multiple GUA prefixes and one was intended not to cross the
border, I wouldn't feed it to the border routers to begin with. You can't leak
what you don't know.

Owen