Gary,

You have some very good points there, but I'm not sure that
CruiseControl is a very good example of a website... the left-hand
menu is good from a UI point of view... as you say, the link target
areas are large, and links and elements are all very obvious... but
the menu content is remarkably poor, to the point that as a newcomer
to the website I would have had a nightmare trying to work out the
system if I weren't already familiar with CC.Net, and even knowing the
layout of their website now, I still find it hard to find information
in their site.

Having said that, I like and agree with your suggestions for improving
the usability of the site for newcomers... I'll have a play and try to
create some comparisons of the different ideas.

-T