.net framework (atleast 1.1 for sure) don't send directly to smtp port
TCP/25. Instead, it uses CDO object, which is some COM system beast. And
this thing has to be inicialized. You have to do it just once. You could
uninstall OE then. I dont know, whether Thunderbird uses/inits CDO.

Perhaps there is some way how to accomplish this initialization by hand,
without OE magic. Try to search for "System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail". That is what
nant is using.

btw: Confusing? Mailing systems are! Wish MS do some cleanup it this area.
Perhaps WinFX...

Martin Aliger