It's now been almost 6 weeks since rc4 came out.

There are three open bugs filed since then, none of which are
showstoppers in my opinion.  There are two others closed and one deleted.

There are a couple of problems reporting in the mailing list since then,
some of which seem significant to me.  However, basing release decisions
on items discussed in the mailing lists and not entered into the tracker
is a road to chaos.  It's a hard line, but somebody has got to draw it :-)

My conclusion is that rc4 should be retagged as 0.85 final and announced
as such.  After that, I think two things need to be discussed:

   1.  What will constitute 1.0, and what is the roadmap to get to it?
   2.  Is a bug fix build needed before then?

Personally, I think NAnt is in good enough shape to timebox requests for
features and mandatory fixes in 1.0.  In other words, set a deadline of
Aug 15 (for example - I don't mean to be declaring dates unilaterally)
for requests to come in.  Two weeks later, have a final set of bugs and
features targeted for 1.0, and a target date for rc1. Obviously show
stoppers found after the first date can be added to the list; that date
just raises the bar for consideration.  Ideally, I'd like to see 1.0
final by the end of the year, better yet by October.

My perspective on this is that releases and release numbers are largely
a marketing decision, not engineering.  In this case, I think it's
important to maintain momentum and credibility against msbuild.
Otherwise, the community of users won't grow, and hence the community of
contributors won't grow.

Gary